Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation's Solid Waste Program
From ITEP Team
Use of this service constitutes agreement with the terms of NAU's Acceptable Use Policies found on this site: https://nau.edu/its/policies/
This video is one of multiple presentations, discussion forums, assignments, and quizzes to be completed as part of the following online course: Introduction to Rural Alaska Landfill Administration. Registration for this online course is available through the Institute for Tribal Environmental Professionals at itep.scholarlms.com/catalog under Tribal Waste and Response or available via self-enrollment at http://itep.scholarlms.com/courses/login/ by creating a free account.
Introduction to Rural Alaska Landfill Administrator (RALA) provides tribal environmental professionals in rural Alaska an introduction to the landfill management and operations and resources for additional training. The development of this short course was a collaborative effort between the Alaska Chapter of the Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA AK Chapter), Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation (ADEC), the Alaska Forum, Inc., Green Star, and the Institute for Tribal Environmental Professionals. In-depth courses for Rural Alaska Landfill Administrator training are offered by SWANA AK Chapter instructors in person annually at the Alaska Tribal Conference on Environmental Management. This online course is equivalent to 0.5 continuing education unit (CEU) and requires approximately five hours of total learning time. CEUs can be earned by completing the following course modules:
- Introduction to Landfills, Administration, and Operations in Rural Alaska
- Solid Waste Administration, Planning, and Budgeting Basics
- Minimizing Waste in Your Landfill
After completing this online course, participants in rural Alaska will be able to:
- Identify the classification and type of landfill in their community.
- Recognize the top ten landfill issues.
- Define landfill administrator’s and operator’s roles.
- Identify basic administrative, planning, and budgeting needs for managing landfills.
- Identify strategies for minimizing waste that fits their communities’ needs.
- Identify best management practice for burning waste.
Ted Jacobson, Solid Waste Tribal Liaison, EPA/SEE Program/Alaska
Doug Huntman, Green Star Program Director, Alaska Forum
Stephen Price, Rural Landfill Specialist, Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation Solid Waste Program
Institute for Tribal Environmental Professionals, [email protected]